Monday, November 30, 2009

Create the World.



With a click of a camera.

I have learned in my life that I love taking pictures. not just love... but its as though i have a sense of peace within me as I press down that cool black button and hear the click of that masterpiece.
You know I hate posed pictures most of the time.
because usually you take a posed picture and it isn't even what the person is like... what i mean is... a picture shouldn't just say , "look heres Jane" it should say, "this is Jane, she loves life and laughter" you should be able to tell that just simply by looking at a picture.
I went to Canada over the summer with my french class. As I was showing my teacher my pictures I had a lady come up and start looking at them. She told me that with good training I would be really good. because i have one thing a lot of people don't have. I have "the eye" now honestly. i can't possibly tell you what that means. but because of that lady i decided instead of just being a journalist, I wanted to be a PHOTO journalist.

Heres where the story comes into place.
I'll skip the once upon time, if thats okay with you.
So my aunt asked me to take pictures of her boys, so she could make them into christmas presents. Well, unfortunately I do not own the glorious camera that I do all my real work with, It is my step-dads, but he is pretty cool with letting me use it when i need too. ANYWAYS, so i took the pictures at the Greenbelt, she didn't want posed pictures, but yet just the boys feeling relaxed, and showing their personalities.
The pictures turned out great.
I'll steal one and put it on here.
So my aunt gives a copy of the CD to my grandmother, who starts to of course show off at her work.
BADING
Caitlin has another photoshoot to partake in ;DD(happyhappy ok?)
I get really excited that someone actually likes my work, and so i set up a time, a place, and a day and i prepare my camera to go onto this adventure of photography.
I'll have you know, the little girl I encountered to take her picture, was exquisite. very very grown up for her age, and yet still with a ton of ambition and energy.
Her name is Chelsea. and her mother wanted some natural shots of her playing on the playground, so that she could remember Chelsea as the wild child she is, not some posed preppy "shnookums".
So i introduced myself to Chelsea.
ME: (bending down to get on Chelsea's level) Hi Chelsea I'm Caitlin, how old are you?
Chelsea: six
ME: okay now that we know each other, think it's cool if we be friends?
Chelsea: (gives me the most sincere look as she looks me over from head to toe) Ummm i dont know about that... i dont really know you
of course i laugh, and think to myself, man this girl is smart,
but i also was kind of intimidated. I am usually really good with kids, and so I have never encountered a kid not liking me, I didn't want her to not like me, because then it would make it harder for pictures.
I really wanted her to loosen up so that she could be ONE HUNDRED percent natural... only then can i achieve that artistic and masterpiece shot.




So i told Chelsea to just start playing and she went straight to the slide. she decided she was going to hide from me, which i found was probably the most amusing thing... and ironic. considering i was trying to take pictures of her...and she decided to hide. bright kid. very smart. and cute.
but i love games, and so i decided to play with her. she was cute and laughing and she slid down that slide fifty times before she decided she wanted to go on to something else... and even then, she didn't decide it, i just asked her if maybe she wanted to swing.
but my favorite part was asking her if she wanted to climb a tree.
her face lightened up like i had just handed her a really large chocolate chip cookie. she smiled at me and nodded.
however when her mother went to put her in the tree she started getting scared.
Chelsea is afraid of heights.
She was hugging the tree as though she was in love with it, only it was because she was holding on to her dear life.
she soon started to relax though, and she even started posing for me, it was great.
The thing I remember most about this little girl though, is when I went to run with her while she was riding her bike, and she kept looking at me oddly. she looked at me, and told me that i was very strange. and i laughed and said, yes i know. she looked at my hat, and she looked at my shirt, then she looked at my ears.
Chelsea: HEY! you are wearing two different earrings...
Me: yes, this is true
Chelsea: why?
Me: just because i want to

although she thought i was weird i could tell she really started to like me. she kept asking me to come up on the jungle gym thingy mabob, and play with her. she wanted to slide with me, she wanted to swing with me, and i could tell she didn't really want me to leave.

i was actually sad to leave her.
i think i get attached to easily
im actually told it is my downfall.

Chelsea was a beautiful little girl.
and maybe we can become friends.


my grandmother called me today,
let me know that Kristin, (Chelsea's mom) really really liked the pictures and was showing them to everyone.
but the best news of all,
she told me that Chelsea wants me to babysit her.
she got up for school and wanted her hair to "look like caitlins" she wanted to dress "just like caitlin" and she named her favorite bratz doll "caitlin"
i had made an impression on that child.
and it made me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment