Thursday, October 1, 2009

Breathe.

"This mirror will show you what you do and do not want to see."

I saw a woman the other day as I was driving home.
She was standing outside with her head lifted up, and her eyes closed, with her lightly gray hair gently circling her face. I could actually not only see her breathing deep breaths, but i felt as though i could feel them too.
it just reminded me to stop for one second and remember the beauty that surrounds me.
I noticed, that with everything going on in my life with college. i forget to remember the beauty that we take for granted all the time. I had my one on one, which is what bonnors do with a leader such as Preston, Diana, or Anne, and we go over our goals for the year. I was actually kind of nervous, because I wans't really sure what my goals were. all i knew is i wanted to make somewhat of an impression on the college, but also a difference in the people's lifes that i am working with on a day to day basis. Diana reminded me that i needed to take time out of my day for myself. i am so wrapped up in homework, my bonnor sights, my extra activities i have taken on, and even my boyfriend and friends. all of these things i try to make time for, and i usually forget to take time out for myself. it would be good if i just layed in the grass with my headphones in and soaked up the atmosphere. or if i climbed a tree near a lake, and just read for an hour or two, clearing my mind and entering my own world.
i think that as college students, we have to remember to do that. make time for ourselves. because if we dont, we can forget the very thing that makes us...us.
i am thankful for seeing that woman that day, and i want to approach the world in that way. i am glad that i can walk outside, close my eyes to the sky, and breathe in the enrichment of the air, and be not only content but have my soul feel...fulfilled.
people think there isn't much in this world to be thankful for, or that is beautiful.
i disagree. just go outside. look at all the detail, and then tell me that isn't the most mind boggling detail and art you have ever witnessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment